Our Modern Estate Plans allows our clients to prepare their estate plans without leaving their homes: our initial consultation is done through a telephonic or video conference and we provide your drafts through our secure online client portal. However, Indiana law still requires the execution of documents to be in person.
To that end, we have created estate plan execution protocols in order to accommodate clients who want to execute their estate plans during the COVID-19 pandemic and the Governor’s Stay-At-Home Order. Note that legal services are deemed essential under the Governor’s Order, but we still encourage you to consider waiting until the pandemic is over to execute your estate plan.e
Note that recommendations change daily. We are staying on top of all updates and will adjust our protocols accordingly.
Here are our current procedures for our estate plan execution meetings:
- We will use disinfectant wipes to wipe down the table, chairs and other surfaces.
- We will have hand sanitizer available.
- We meet outside, when possible. (Our office has a great outdoor conference room!)
- Depending on the document, we might be able to execute the document electronically so we do not have to exchange paper.
- We wear gloves. We will have gloves available to you, if you wish to wear them.
- Everyone stays 6 feet apart.
- We ask that you bring your own pen.
- We will scan your estate plan before you leave so you will have immediate electronic copies.
- Your estate plan will be given to you in a binder placed inside a plastic grocery bag. We recommend placing it in the back of your closet and not touching it for at least 14 days.
- If you fall into a high-risk category for COVID-19, we may ask you to sign a waiver before coming to our office.
As always, contact us if you have any questions.